The economy has been tough on many but the gifts given by the “Extreme Makeover” show in the way of revamped houses have not been immune to hitting the auction block.
Here are some news stories covering the losses faced by people on the show.
- Brian Wofford’s Home Aided By Extreme Makeover Faces Foreclosure
- Eric Hebert Faces Foreclosure on His Extreme Makeover House
- A fairy tale foreclosed: ‘Extreme Makeover’ home on auction block – Milton Harper
- Deaf ‘Extreme Makeover’ couple gets financial aid – Judy Vardon
Troubled ‘Extreme Makeover’ Recipient in Florida Receives Reprieve – Sadie Holmes
- Family may lose ‘Extreme Makeover’ home – Rob Byers
- ‘Extreme’ home now on the market – Hassalls
Even though people on the show get new free houses they have to face other challenges. For example, if the old house that was demolished had a mortgage, the mortgage still exists and payments are still due. New homes increase property values and taxes. They also increase operating costs and maintenance bills. The financial demands would in general be the same or higher after the new home and people getting them must be prepared to deal with it.
While getting a free new house makes for good television, for some it is not the magic bullet that lets them live happily ever after.Many Extreme Makeover Homes in Foreclosure by Steve Rhode