Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > I Want My Money Back for Mortgage Modification Charges. – Dudley

I Want My Money Back for Mortgage Modification Charges. – Dudley

“Dear Steve,

In November of 2011 Phillips Law Frm contacetd us offering to to get a modification on our mortgage loan with Well Fargo(Lender). Coincidentally we received a mailing just a week or so after I had submiited an application to Wells Fargo asking for the modification. This mailing gave a reference # and asked us to call a 800 number. We thought that this letter was a response to our application. When I called this 800 # the person who picked up the call and indentifeid himself and stated that they are a Law firm.. Phillips Law Center and they have the expertise to get the process stream lined and they work with major Banks and Mortgage lenders . When I said that I had already sent in an application to Wells, they warned me that the abnk will keep asking for various documents etc which will be overwhelming to most. After several back and forth communications we were convinced that it be best to to get their help. They wanted an upfront fee( $450 0.00) When I asked what we do about our iniated application they said do not worry and thet will settle this. They said not only they can get the inerest rate reduced to well below 4%( our loan had a raye of 5.875 but also cam part of the pricipal reduced.
Now it is August 20112 and nothing has happened. I finally also got in conact with the owner, an attorney, Brent Phillips. He kept assuring me that everything is fine . Finally I called theWells and they said that they had very little contact with Phillips Law

Can I get Phillips Law to ferund us all or part of the4500?\

Can I get all or a part of the fee refunded


Don’t miss our free Get Out of Debt – “How To” Guide Series on a number of topics, for loads of practical advice, tips, and help to beat back debt. – Click Here

The Answer

Dear Dudley,

I would follow this guide and process.

Charging in advance for mortgage modification services is problematic when attempting to comply with the Mortgage Assistance Relief Services Rule from the Federal Trade Commission.

Let me know in the comments below how your effort to get your money back goes.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

Big Hug!

I Want My Money Back for Mortgage Modification Charges.   Dudley
Get Out of Debt Guy – Twitter, G+, Facebook

If you have a credit or debt question you’d like to ask just use the online form. I’m happy to help you totally for free.

I Want My Money Back for Mortgage Modification Charges. - Dudley by

Share This and Spread the Word

About Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.