Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > I’m Paying Off My Ex-Husbands Credit Card But Only an Authorized User. – Clarissa

I’m Paying Off My Ex-Husbands Credit Card But Only an Authorized User. – Clarissa

“Dear Steve,

Credit card in husband name only, but I was a authorized user.

On my divorce decree I am responsible for my ex-husbands credit card(that is in his name only,but I was an authorize user)

I recently found out that the credit card number in the divorce decree that he gave was closed. What I think happen is my ex cancelled my credit card number that I used but kept the account open and issued himself another card. So the credit card number on my divorce decree is wrong. Am I responsible for the correct account number. All monies on the credit card I used and was responsible to pay was transferred into his new issued credit card. He wants me to pay for the credit card that has a different number from what my divorce decree says I am responsible for.


Don’t miss our free Get Out of Debt – “How To” Guide Series on a number of topics, for loads of practical advice, tips, and help to beat back debt. – Click Here

The Answer

Dear Clarissa,

In fact you are not responsible for the debt at all as an authorized user. If you have made an agreement to repay X amount then that is an agreement between you and your ex-husband. Your divorce agreement is not binding with your creditors.

You might just want to determine what that X amount is and make payments to pay down that balance, directly to your ex, without interest.

If he wants to then pay the card with it that’s his choice. Otherwise it seems like a huge open ended liability for you to make payments on a card you are neither in the loop on or responsible for.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

Big Hug!

Im Paying Off My Ex Husbands Credit Card But Only an Authorized User.   Clarissa
Get Out of Debt Guy – Twitter, G+, Facebook

If you have a credit or debt question you’d like to ask just use the online form. I’m happy to help you totally for free.

I'm Paying Off My Ex-Husbands Credit Card But Only an Authorized User. - Clarissa by

Share This and Spread the Word

About Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
  • Clarissa Goeasc

    Thank you, Steve. I know you said my divorce decree is not binding with the creditors. What I would like to know am I still responsible for the wrong credit number on my divorce and if not can he amend (2yrs divorce) the divorce decree to put correct number. If he wants to take me to Small Claims Court can he ONLY use the account number on my decree(which account closed and monies was transferred to new account) or use his new credit card account. I do not want to pay for his new account. (I do not know how the monies I own on credit card was transferred to another account.) would you be able to tell me how that happened.


    • Steve Rhode

      I can’t see how you would be responsible for it. The document was reviewed by the both of you prior to you signing it.

      You probably don’t need to amend anything, just get some documentation from him that shows the correct number and keep that in a safe place.

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.