Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > Will My Bad UK Debt Stop Me From Getting a Visa to Move From Australia to the UK? – Michael

Will My Bad UK Debt Stop Me From Getting a Visa to Move From Australia to the UK? – Michael

“Dear Jon,

I have an inquiry and would like to know if you can help me.

Soon after the GFC I lost my job and a typical situation of not being able to pay rent, loans, council tax etc followed. In a few months I was evicted from my flat and had to return to my own country in the EU. After that I emigrated again but this time to Australia. Things are better here and now I am in a position where I can apply for permanent residence to live here.

As part of the process they need a police check of my last 10 years addresses and that includes 6 years in the UK. To get this check the UK police needs my addresses for the last 10 years too, including my actual address and the previous ones in Australia.

I am concerned about what to do. I am worried that as a result of my UK debt I might have some bad police records that will prevent me to get my visa here. Also, that by applying for the UK police record will put me in further trouble.

Can I order the police record in from the UK and expect no debt related records there?

Can you please let me know if you can help of know anyone who can.

many thanks


Don’t miss our free Get Out of Debt – “How To” Guide Series on a number of topics, for loads of practical advice, tips, and help to beat back debt. – Click Here

The Answer

I understand your concerns and you are quite the world traveler.

A criminal record check/inquiry in the UK known as a CRB, is strictly for criminal activity or crimes committed and charges brought against you, it does not reflect or provide any credit data or late payments, defaults, or credit history.

As long as your debts did not arise from any criminal activity, or court fines, etc, you should be fine. Your creditors would not have been filing any criminal charges against you just for owing them money. If fraud had been involved, that could be different, but even then the creditor may not have brought charges against you.

I wish you the best there in Oz.



Will My Bad UK Debt Stop Me From Getting a Visa to Move From Australia to the UK?   MichaelJon Emge is an experienced UK debt advisor who has helped thousands and thousands of people in the UK to deal with problem debt. Jon specialises in finding good solutions for problem debt using a variety of UK specific techniques.

If you have a question you’d like to ask about how to get out of UK debt, just use the online form. I’m happy to help you for free.

Will My Bad UK Debt Stop Me From Getting a Visa to Move From Australia to the UK? - Michael by

Share This and Spread the Word

About Jon Emge

Jon Emge

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.