Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > Will My Unpaid University Debt Prevent Me From Staying in the UK? – Raj

Will My Unpaid University Debt Prevent Me From Staying in the UK? – Raj

“Dear Jon,

I was a student who came to the UK in 2009. I was enrolled for a course, which I did not complete. End 2009, I got a Tier 2 visa and started working. Now it’s time to extend my visa. I had paid my agent who arranged my student visa in 2009 all the money for the course that I did not attend, but the agent did not pay the complete sum. While I was working, the college sends me messages telling me that I owe them the remaining amount. They have transferred this file to a debt collection agency and they have contacted me twice and no more contacts since then.

My question is this. Will this unpaid debt will affect my extension of visa and perhaps the PR application in the future?


Don’t miss our free Get Out of Debt – “How To” Guide Series on a number of topics, for loads of practical advice, tips, and help to beat back debt. – Click Here

The Answer


That is a good question to ask the agent or company handling your Visa or also Immigration/Home Office Border Agency, but to my knowledge no, it should not affect your Visa or renewing a Visa.

Having worked with people who required a work Visa to stay in the UK, and also who subsequently received a settlement Visa, disclosing of finances was only to insure they could provide for themselves and not immediately go on benefits. No where on any of the forms does it ask about debt(s) or who you owe, or anything about a credit history check. You need to show bank statements for personal savings and wages to support your application, but again to my knowledge no credit issues are looked at.

If you do owe the money, can you afford to set-up a repayment plan? If so this would help in resolving the situation. Last thing you may need is someone getting a CCJ against you and look to enforce it through bailiffs or other means.



Will My Unpaid University Debt Prevent Me From Staying in the UK?   RajJon Emge is an experienced UK debt advisor who has helped thousands and thousands of people in the UK to deal with problem debt. Jon specialises in finding good solutions for problem debt using a variety of UK specific techniques.

If you have a question you’d like to ask about how to get out of UK debt, just use the online form. I’m happy to help you for free.

Will My Unpaid University Debt Prevent Me From Staying in the UK? - Raj by

Share This and Spread the Word

About Jon Emge

Jon Emge

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.