I am a single parent, sort of an empty nester, but not quite. I have always worked low wage jobs because I don’t know the right people. I thought my brains and work ethic would get me past that.
Long story short, I finally graduated college at 40, but I am still working the same dead end job at the same company, making the same low wage. Now, I have a huge amount of student loan debt, a house I cannot afford, medical bills, and no way out. I hate my job. I hate being broke all the time. I thought a college degree would improve my and my daughter’s life…not so. I am miserable. I am tired of struggling to put food on the table and pay the bills. My big plan to improve my life backfired. I need help.
Can I file bankruptcy, including student loans? If I do, who will rent to me? Who will hire me? Won’t a bankruptcy make me look horrible to future employers, landlords, and banks?
I filed the first time early in 1994, after my daughter was born. I have only ever received $100 total in child support, because her father was on SSI, and I made just enough money to never receive help from food stamps, etc. So much for trying to help myself. I have always been dirt poor and it wears on me. I feel I have aged 20 years on top of my actual age. I can’t take much more.
The reason bankruptcy is often referred to as a fresh start and a second chance is because, well, it is.
The question here is if you want to continue to invest energy on your current path or invest the same amount of energy building a better future. Ponder that for a moment. Seriously, what if you took what you’ve learned from your mistakes and took your effort and applied it to doing better rather than circling the bowel? Couldn’t you change your life for the better?
It’s time to stop being financial paralyzed by scary assumptions about bankruptcy. – Click to Tweet
As soon as you get your bankruptcy discharge you can immediately begin to rebuild your credit. It’s actually easy. Read How to Easily Rebuild Your Credit and Have Good Credit Again.
Want to know more about including student loans? Read How to Really Discharge Your Student Loans in Bankruptcy. Many Can But Never Try.
And another issue that certainly sounds like it is holding you back, is probably depression. Once life kicks you down so much it’s hard to be positive or see a better future. The depression leaves you stuck in the same situation. If we can change the future we can help to break the cycle of depression.
In fact, just check out the full list of bankruptcy articles below that will address your questions.
Bankruptcy Articles and Posts You Must Read
To get ready to read the information below with the right frame of mind, please first read How Do I Get Out of Debt Quickly? Change Your Mindset.
- How to Know if You Should File Bankruptcy
- So You Are Going to File Bankruptcy. That’s Great News. Congratulations.
- Easily Rebuild Your Credit After Bankruptcy
- The Truth About Bankruptcy Success Rates
- How to Get Out of Debt Calculator
- How Long After Bankruptcy Can I Buy a House?
- Is Bankruptcy Sinful and Bad or Right and Moral? An Examination
- What Does the Bible Say About Bankruptcy? Is Bankruptcy Scriptural?
- How to Get Out of Debt. The Honest and Unvarnished Truth
- The Emotional Seven Stages of Debt
- Getting a Job After Bankruptcy
- Chapter 7 Bankruptcy – What is the Truth?
- Low Cost / Pro Bono Bankruptcy Resource Locator
- Bankruptcy Should Be the Last Resort Many Say. But That’s Just Not True
- The Ethical Considerations of Bankruptcy
- Is Bankruptcy Right For Me?
- 14 Reasons You Should Not Avoid Bankruptcy
- How to Really Discharge Your Student Loans in Bankruptcy. Many Can. But Never Try.
- Life After Bankruptcy: How to Quickly Have Great Credit and Dumb Mistakes to Avoid
- How to Find a Great Bankruptcy Attorney
- You Have Not Failed if You File Bankruptcy
Life After Bankruptcy
Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.
If you have a credit or debt question you’d like to ask just use the online form. I’m happy to help you totally for free.