I owe $25,000 in credit card debt and over $120,000 in student loan debt. Half are federal loans and half are private loans. I am a single mother of two little ones and the reason for my debt was mostly due to my failed marriage and going to an expensive school. I am getting ready to file for bankruptcy as I cannot afford to pay everything anymore.
I know that the student loan debt will not be discharged in bankruptcy, but with the proposed law in the Senate called “The Fairness for Struggling Students Act of 2013″ I am worried that I will file for bankruptcy and then a new law will be passed that will allow some bankruptcy help with private student loans. If this happens will I be able to do anything about it or since I filed then it’s too late? My lawyer doesn’t think the law will change, but I just want to know in case it does. Thank you so much!!!
There is no indication the law will become a reality. Similar laws have been suggested each year for the past few years and they’ve all gone nowhere.
The odds are significantly unlikely it will become a reality anytime soon.
On the federal loans, don’t forget to look at your consolidation and payment reduction options available. See the links below.
Student Loan Resources
You can use the following student loan resources to help reorganize, discharge or forgive your student loan payments.
The Overall Guide to Dealing With Student Loan Debt
Get Help For Your Student Loan Problem
Discharge Your Student Loans in Bankruptcy
- How to Really Discharge Your Student Loans in Bankruptcy. Many Can. But Never Try.
- A Look at Sallie Mae and Other Student Loans Discharged in Bankruptcy in 2012
- Federal Student Loans Discharged in Bankruptcy. A Look at the Surprising 2012 Data and Cases.
- These Private Student Loans Can Be Easily Discharged in Bankruptcy
- All Student Loan Bankruptcy Discharge Articles
Getting Sued Over a Student Loan
Student Loan Forgiveness and Discharge Information
- The Ultimate Guide to Dealing With Student Loans You Can’t Afford
- Obama Student Loan Forgivess Program
- Military Student Loan Forgiveness and Discharge Programs
- Student Loan Forgiveness or Discharge Can Create a Huge Tax Bill. Watch Out!
- Student Loan Public Service Loan Forgiveness – New Forms and Documentation Released
- Government Student Loan Disability Discharge
Watch Out for Student Loan Assistance Programs
- Student Loan Assistance Rescue Scams On the Rise – Buyer Beware
- Student Loan Assistance Report Out. Shows Danger of Such Programs.
Student Loan Consolidation Information
- Student Loan Consolidation Payment and Interest Rate Calculator
- Student Loan Consolidation Opportunities and the Best Way to Lower Your Student Loan Payments
- Federal Direct Consolidation Loan Online Calculator
Specific Federal Student Loan Repayment Program Information
- Standard Repayment Plan
- Graduated Repayment Plan
- Extended Repayment Plan
- Income Based Repayment Plan
- Pay As You Earn Repayment Plan
- Income Contingent Repayment Plan
- Income Sensitive Repayment Plan
Maybe College Isn’t the Answer
Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.Will The Fairness for Struggling Students Act Allow Me to Discharge My Private Student Loans in Bankruptcy? - Lexi by Steve Rhode