Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > Portfolio Recovery Associates Sued My Wife on Disability. – Frank

Portfolio Recovery Associates Sued My Wife on Disability. – Frank

“Dear Steve,

My wife and I both became disabled and she had to go on Social Security Disability in 2008 and I had to go on Retirement/Disability from the US Department of Defense Civil Service in 2004. Needless to say our incomes dropped substantially and we could no longer afford our credit card debts.

My wife received a letter from Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC, through a firm out of Philadelphia, PA named Blatt, Hasenmiller, Leibsker, & Moore, LLC stating they have filed a Civil Action against her in the Court of Common Pleas in Lackawanna County, PA.

It states that she is in default because you have failed to enter a written appearance personally or by an attorney, and that unless she acts in ten days from the letter a judgment may be entered against her without a hearing and you may lose your property or other important rights and that we should contact an attorney at once.

She called the agency in Philadelphia and they said she owed $650.00 and that they would accept $50.00 per month and review the case in August due to our circumstances.

Is this legal in PA and what would happen next if we don’t get an attorney or start paying on the debt to this company?


Don’t miss our free Get Out of Debt – “How To” Guide Series on a number of topics, for loads of practical advice, tips, and help to beat back debt. – Click Here

The Answer

Portfolio Recovery Associates Sued My Wife on Disability.   Frank

Dear Frank,

I am not an attorney and you should consult with an attorney licensed in Pennsylvania for specific legal advice for your situation.

In general it seems if you do not have assets they can go after and your income is solely from disability and public benefits they would not be able to garnish that.

My concern is that this is not your only debt and if you do have other unsecured debts or debts like this defaulted debt, we then need to think about a more global solution rather than just jump at this one issue.

If this is your only debt you could contact the law firm and work out some deal in writing that would allow you to pay $50 a month. If you really can’t afford $50 a month and this is your only debt and you don’t see yourselves having big assets moving forward then you might want to do nothing and let them get the judgment they may not be able to collect on. If this is just one of other lingering debts then you should click here to find a local bankruptcy attorney and talk to them for free about your specific situation. Get the facts and then you can make an informed and educated decision if bankruptcy is right for you.

Bonus Video Answer

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

Big Hug!

Portfolio Recovery Associates Sued My Wife on Disability.   Frank
Get Out of Debt Guy – Twitter, G+, Facebook

If you have a credit or debt question you’d like to ask just use the online form. I’m happy to help you totally for free.

Portfolio Recovery Associates Sued My Wife on Disability. - Frank by

Share This and Spread the Word

About Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.