Tag Archives: aiccca
- USA.gov Recommends Only NFCC for Credit Counseling in Email. Why?
Today I got an email from USA.gov that struck me. The email made it seem as if credit counseling could help rebuild credit. That a no-no for credit counseling to avoid or run afoul of the CRedit Repair Organizations Act. I’ve covered that here. The email USA.gov sent out linked only to National Foundation for [...]
- The Truth About The Success Rates, Failure Rates and Completion Rates of Credit Counseling, Debt Settlement, Bankruptcy, and Debt Consolidation Loans
This is a story that I’ve been working on for a few weeks. I’ve been asking people and groups for feedback and information to write this but what I’ve run into, is a wall. I have received some feedback from groups and people that don’t wish to be publicly identified to protect themselves but what [...]
- Credit Counseling Against Registration of Debt Relief Providers? Huh?
In what is another of the ultimate ironies of nonprofit charitable credit counseling, it appears that at least two trade associations feel nonprofit credit counselors should not have to participate in any national registration of debt relief companies with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I must admit, the position against CFPB registration stumps me and [...]
- American Consumer Credit Counseling Makes Some Interesting Marketing Claims
A reader and tipster (send in your tips here) sent in some concern about the American Consumer Credit Counseling website that they wanted us to see. In light of the Federal Trade Commission Telemarketing Sales Rules that prohibit a number of misleading advertising practices, it is surprising that American Consumer Credit Counseling is making the [...]
- AICCCA Credit Counseling Conference to be Held at the Four Seasons Hotel
The Association of Independent Consumer Credit Counseling Agencies (AICCCA) has their annual conference coming up in Washington, DC if anyone wants to attend. It’s July 20-22 at the flippin’ Four Seasons Hotel in D.C. Seriously, charitable dollars are being spent to hold a non-profit meeting at the luxury Four Seasons Hotel? And on top of [...]
- The Importance of Data Transparency When Working With Credit Counseling and Debt Settlement Regulators and Lawmakers
Recently Christoper Viale, the president and CEO of Cambridge Credit Counseling, and I had a chance to talk about a number of issues that are important in the debt relief world today. You can read the full transcript of our conversation below. Some of the highlights are: Coming forward with actual credit counseling performance data [...]
- Association of Independent Consumer Credit Counseling Agencies (AICCCA) – Scam, Complaint, Review, or Praise?
Please share your experience with this debt relief association and provide your review and feedback, in the comments section below. The goal of this page is to allow people to share information that may be important to help others to make a more informed decision regarding their experience with this debt relief association. Here are [...]
- CareOne Sends Notice to NFCC That They Should Comply With FTC Rules
Here is a copy of the letter that CareOne sent to the National Foundation for Credit Counseling yesterday asking them to comply with the new FTC telemarketing sales rules. Apparently both ACCPros and AICCCA received the same letter. August 31, 2010 Susan C. Keating President and CEO National Foundation for Credit Counseling 801 Roeder Road, [...]
- CRL Says TASC and USOBA Harm Ordinary Families at the Hands of Debt Settlement Companies
Here is another letter sent to the FTC in support of banning advance fees for debt settlement programs. It is notable for it’s strong statements and its well documented footnotes. Get Out of Debt Guy – Twitter, G+, Facebook Comments of Michael Calhoun, President, of the Center for Responsible Lending to the Federal Trade Commission [...]
- Debt Settlement Industry in Denial At Their Own Peril. Ass Whopping Next Week.
Just one day after the Senate hearing on the debt settlement industry, many inside the industry think the hearings went okay or feel they were a bit one sided but they can recover from that. People, it’s time to wake up and smell the coffee. New Legislation Will Make Debt Settlement Companies Vomit A Washington [...]
- Disturbing and Potentially Deceptive Move by Credit Card Industry. HelpWithMyCredit.org
It what certainly feels like yet another self-serving action by the credit card industry, Bank of America, Capital One, Citi and Discover Card, as well as the payments networks MasterCard and Visa have launched a new website HelpWithMyCredit.org that misleads consumers. What appears to be even worse, is that a CNN personal financial reporter that [...]