Can I Get My Florida Metropolitan University Student Loans Eliminated?


Dear Steve,

I started Florida Metropolitan University (FMU) around 2006. I pretty much was backed into a huge student loan. I was told that I could transfer credits. I never was able to.

Can I get help in loan forgiveness or reducing the amount? My loan was with Sallie Mae then transferred to Navient.

Do You Have a Question You'd Like Help With? Contact Debt Coach Damon Day. Click here to reach Damon.



Dear Sandra,

It sounds as if you have student loan debt but never graduated. And it’s not clear if your loans are federal or private student loans. If they are private loans then the lender is the entity to contact for any reduced payment options. here are of course some more drastic options like defaulting and bankruptcy.

If these are federal student loans you have a couple of options. If you have evidence you were defrauded by the university then you could consider the Borrower Defense to Repayment Program but keep in mind, there are some downsides to that program if it’s not a good fit.

The second option would be to consolidate your federal loans and opt to repay them through an income driven repayment program. But again, keep in mind there are some cons to consider as well.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me

Comments are closed.