Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Income Based Repayment

My College Loans From 1994 Keep Increasing. I’ll Never Pay Them Off.

Written by Steve Rhode


Dear Steve,

I graduated college in 1994 with $21k in federal student loan debt. Long story short, 23 years later, after several deferments, forbearances and start and stop payments due to different financial circumstances, I now owe over $108,000!!

What can I do? Is there any chance of a settlement or partial forgiveness?



Dear Pat,

What are you doing?

Deferments and forbearance only increase the debt with no path to forgiveness. And if you ever feel into default up to 20% of your balance can be added as a collection fee.

At the very least you should have consolidated your federal loans into a new Direct Loan and then opted for an income driven repayment option like the IBR or PAYE. This way your loans would be forgiven after 25 years.

Granted, the IBR or PAYE can also result in an increased balance owed, see this, but at least you can reach forgiveness in 25-years.

Settlement on federal loans is not an option. Forgiveness is an option if you qualify as a public service worker or through an income driven repayment plan.

Choice1 Choice2 Choice3 Big Hug!
Get Out of Debt Guy - Twitter , G+ , Facebook
If you have a credit or debt question you'd like to ask just use the online form .

READ  Will My Inheritance Increase My IBR Student Loan Payment?

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.


Share a Comment / Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top
%d bloggers like this: