Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Tax Related

Should My School Release My Transcripts if the Sent Me a 1099

Written by Steve Rhode


Dear Steve,

So I attended a university where I completed my associates, and then went on to get my bachelor’s, well as part of the program you have to take electives,at the time the school offered you to take FEMA classes to count towards the credits, which I needed 22 of them and they were $40.00 a credit Hour total 800.00, I paid 280.00 now this was back in 2012, I never paid the rest, but now I want to pay the balance and get my transcripts since they allowed the credits back then, shouldn’t I be able to pay the balance and get my transcripts, also I believe the wrote the debt off and sent me a tax form for it. I have put a call into the student accounting dept. Please let me know what you think



Dear Shunda,

I don’t know if I more outraged by charging you for the free FEMA classes or the transcript issue.

If they sent you a 1099 and wrote the debt off then I think a successful argument can be made that the transcripts should no longer be held hostage.

However, it really depends what they say once you talk to them. It might just be less expensive to pay the remaining balance than it would be to hire an attorney who is licensed in your state to fight for the release because of the 1099.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

READ  Drexel University Won't Give Me My College Transcript. What Can I Do?

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

1 Comment

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top