Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Tax Related

I Got an IRS Tax Bill From a Zombie Citibank Debt

Written by Steve Rhode


Dear Steve,

I could really use your help. I recently received a $6000 plus bill from the IRS for an old Zombie debt from CitiBank that I know I haven’t had any contact with for at least 6-7 years.

From everything I have read regarding bad debt, it seems like I might not owe this tax but I have been unable to reach the IRS to speak to someone regarding this.

What should I do? How can I actually know one way or the other should I pay it or not? Can you recommend a good tax adviser for 1099C, please?



Dear Madison,

It’s not clear if you received a notice you owe the IRS $6,000 or you received a notice of a 1099-C had been submitted.

If you believe the notice may be incorrect there are ways to deal with this with the IRS. However, you should find a local person who can assist you.

One place to look for such assistance would be from the National Association of Enrolled Agents. An Enrolled Agents “is a person who has earned the privilege of representing taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service by either passing a three-part comprehensive IRS test covering individual and business tax returns, or through experience as a former IRS employee.” – Source

They are often less expensive than a tax lawyer and more knowledgeable than a local storefront tax preparation person.

There are solutions for dealing with your situation but clearly, more information is needed to address your specific circumstances. Please post a comment below to update me when you get to the bottom of this.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

1 Comment

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top