I’m a Partially Disabled Veteran Looking for Help With My Student Loan Debt

Written by Steve Rhode


Dear Steve,

I am inquiring about my student loan debt, so I recently filed chapter 13 and was told my student loan debt doesn’t qualify to file, I filed chapter 7 like 8 years ago, so I am trying to find out something to do about trying to get the debt forgiven or some method of possibly even negotiating to settle the debt possibly ? I am a disabled veteran but don’t qualify for the total or permanent program because of I’m not 100% disabled.

So not sure if I should contact a student loan lawyer to help in assisting with my situation?



Dear Clarence,

You didn’t mention if these loans were federal or private student loans. If they are private student loans then there is always the opportunity to settle the loans. If they are federal then the easiest way to get a low payment would be using one of the income-driven repayment programs.

Forgiveness is available to disabled veterans on federal loans through a Total and Permanent Disability discharge.

What is clearly apparent is you need someone to work with you to get more information about your debts and give you a knowledgeable opinion about your situation.

You might want to contact Michael Bovee, Damon Day, or a student loan attorney here or here.

With more information and someone knowledge in this specialized area, a game plan can be crafted that makes sense for you.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

See also  I Served My Country But Can't Escape These Student Loans

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

1 Comment

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top