What Advice Should I Give My Prison Pen Pal About Student Loans?


Dear Steve,

My prison pen pal has been incarcerated since 1998, and will probably serve another 6 years. He took out Perkins Loans and a private college loan for the one year he was in college before he was incarcerated. He wants to know the status of these loans and/or how to get them forgiven.



Dear Paul,

Now here is a problem you could schedule to deal with in 5 years and 364 days.

But, if he absolutely must do something right now he could write to the Department of Education since he probably doesn’t have internet access.

Do You Have a Question You'd Like Help With? Contact Debt Coach Damon Day. Click here to reach Damon.

The address for the default resolution group at the Department ofEducation is:

U.S. Department of Education
PO Box 5609
Greenville, TX 75403-5609

He could inquire about the status of his loans and who the current servicer is. Since these are feral government loans there is really no effective way to settle the loans.

Once we know the status of the loans and where they are the best outcome is to get them on some income-based repayment plan. He’d qualify for $0 monthly payments and have to annually recertify the payment plan.

I have no idea how structured and diligent your pal is and if they could keep up with this approach at this point.

Let me know what the decision is.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me
Latest posts by Steve Rhode (see all)

Comments are closed.