How Can I Deal With My Back Taxes After Getting Out of Prison?


Dear Steve,

I owe over 10,000. in taxes.

I have been in prison 3 times in 10 years.

Can I file for an offer of comprise to get rid of this issue? The 10,000.imposed come from came pills found on me and sent off to be analyzed and money I got from a home settlement that I didn’t pay income taxes on an let go back.

I was a drug addict and now have turned my life around. I am still under a doctor for that. I need this straightened out, I have 4 children now.



Dear Lindsay,

I turned to my friend Jim Buttonow who is a tax expert for an answer to your unique situation. Here is what Jim said.

“Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for your question and congratulations on turning your life around.

I would need to know more to understand what options are available. Is the $10,000 a “state fine” or a “federal fine”? Likely, it is related to your state. With more information about who imposed the fine and the type of fine, we can understand what options are available for you.


So if you can post the answers to Jim’s questions in the comments section we can get you a more definitive answer.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

Do you have a question you'd like to ask me for free? Go ahead and click here.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me
Latest posts by Steve Rhode (see all)
See also  My Husband Committed Suicide and Left Me With IRS Debt. - Kathy

2 thoughts on “How Can I Deal With My Back Taxes After Getting Out of Prison?”

Leave a Comment