Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Bankruptcy Related

My New Husband Does Not Believe in Debt Consolidation. – Jackie

“Dear Steve,

Just got married and my husband does not believe in the debt consolidation programs, I have taken on the responsibility of doing all the bills and I find were in over our head by being 40,000 in debt. Good thing our wedding was cheap! But I want a life with a home, and that will never happen if I can not get these credit cards paid off. I am in college, and can only work part time as I have lupus and he works tons of hours but it is still not enough.

How do I make the debt go away or at least decrease it in 1/2.


Dear Jackie,

Where did the debt come from? Is is yours or his primarily?

The logical approach at this point in your life would be bankruptcy. You probably have little in assets and based on your medical condition and earning potential for the next couple of years any repayment program does not seem to be sustainable unless you can easily afford $900 or so a month.

About 75% of people that go bankrupt are able to file under a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. If you were able to do so you’d be totally out of debt in months and it would cost about $1,500.

You can click here to find a local bankruptcy attorney and go talk to them.

Please update me on your progress by posting updates here in the comments section of your question. I’m very interested in how this works out for you.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.


  • Were fine bill wise it has to do with my college loans that are mounting.. I should have been more clearer. Hmmm, let me try that one again. I graduate in a few months and have over 40,000 in debt (in college loans) even with the loan forgiveness and what not the payments are like 400 a month, this is so long..sorry. What other ways do you know of out there to help newly married couples with college debt as all my grants were taken when I got married.

    • If they are federal loans your best approach is the Income Based Repayment Plan (IBR). There is no immediate program for loan forgiveness for student loans without some service for 5 or 10 years as a teacher or doctor in disadvantaged communities. Even then the amount forgiven is limited.


Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top