Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > The Utility Company Says They Will Garnish My Husband’s Wages. – Dawn

The Utility Company Says They Will Garnish My Husband’s Wages. – Dawn

“Dear Steve,

Back in 1996-1998 my inlaws rented a house and apparently they put the utilities in my husband’s name. Today we received a letter in the mail from the sheriff’s department saying they are going to garnish my husband’s wages from a case they started in 2003 in which we owe them almost $9000.00 dollars. Can they do this without taking my husband to court? And is there any statue of limitations on this in the state of NY? We have 3 children and mostly live paycheck to paycheck so this will be a BIG setback for our family. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Is my husband responsible for a debt from 12 years ago we are just finding out about?


Dear Dawn,

It may be that your husband was served at the rental house address if that’s what he provided to the utility companies. Get a local lawyer to look this situation over. He might be able to get out of it but it will be a technical issue.

If you look up ‘legal aid’ in your area on the web you might be able to find some free legal help nearby.

Please update me on your progress by posting updates here in the comments section of your question. I’m very interested in how this works out for you.

Get Out of Debt Free Hotline
debt settlement helpstudent loan help

About Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.