Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Bankruptcy Related

What State Do I File Bankruptcy In? – Kris

“Dear Steve,

I am currently living in Nebraska and have been since April 1st 2010. My drivers license is from Michigan at my parents address and has been since July 2008. In July 2008 I had made this my permanent address while I spent a year in South Korea; from July 2008 to July 2009. When I returned from South Korea I lived with my parents from July 2009 until April 1st 2010. Before July 2008 my address was in Colorado, from July 2005 until July 2008.

What state would I declare chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy in?


Dear Kris,

Generally it is the place where you have resided for the past 180 days or so. The easiest thing to do to confirm your eligibility to file locally is to click here to find a local bankruptcy attorney and let them advise you if Nebraska is not the proper venue.

I have to confess, when I read your questions all I could think about was one of those old math problems when a train leaves Chicago and another leaves New York, how long till they meet.

Please update me on your progress by posting updates here in the comments section of your question. I’m very interested in how this works out for you.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

READ  7 Famous People Who Filed for Bankruptcy (and what you can learn from them)

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top