Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Debt Collector

Can I Request a Bill From the Cable Company to Show What I Owe? – Brittany

“Dear Steve,

I moved to Kansas(2005) and got married and set up an account with the cable company. I moved back to california(2007) due to getting a divorce but before i made the move i returned the equipment to the cable company. I also could’ve sworn they were paid off but i recently received a call from a collection agency.

The collection agency advised that they show that the equipment was returned but that i owe $286. I cant pay the full amount but am in the process of setting up payments with them. My question is, can i request for them to send me a bill or something showing what I owe? Can i request that they send me a receipt after each payment?

Thanks in advance for your help.


Dear Brittany,

Requesting a statement of what you owe is a reasonable request. You can ask for them to send you a monthly statement and they might or they may just give you online access to check on your balance.

Please update me on your progress by posting updates here in the comments section of your question. I’m very interested in how this works out for you.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top