How Do I Prove I’m Disabled to Get My Student Loans Wiped Out? – Christina

I went to school for nursing, i have been out of school for 12 years i have 25,000+ with intrest and fees because i had to fight for disability for over 4 years.

I was awarded my disability after seeing a “goverment appointed” Dr. but my own Dr tell them that i should be working 8 hours a day while standing 2-3 hours a day. I am in pain just sitting at a computer for 2-3 hours a day.. through the whole day not for that straight. I live on pain killers, to make it through the day. if i stand for a hour i am so stiff that i can not move for the rest of the day. How can i get the goverment to understand that my DR is crazy and the other dr who gave the determination physical was correct. ( i do not know the name of the Dr who i saw when it was my ssdi appt.)

Is there a way to get the determination physical, and can i use that for a discharge for student loans. ( i am quickly drownding because of the almost 200 a month that they are taking from em each month)


This reader question was submitted for site members to answer.

This is your chance to be a hero and help out this person by providing your feedback and answer to the question. Post your response in the comments section below.

If you have a credit or debt question you’d like to ask just use the online form.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

See also  My Husband is Disabled, the Medical Bills are Growing, and I Feel Like a Low-life for Considering Bankruptcy. - Tracy

19 thoughts on “How Do I Prove I’m Disabled to Get My Student Loans Wiped Out? – Christina”

  1. I have had my doctor fill out the total and permanent disability form and still received a letter from Nelnet that I need to prove to them that I had no earned income. They tell me that I have to do this for three years. I am already on Social Security and SSI.
    Does anyone else have this issue?

  2. I am mentally and physically disabled and can’t pay back my student loans or private loans.  I  need help to relieve me from the stress of trying to find ways to pay the monies back. PaTrina

  3. Christina ~ If your own doctor doesn’t support your disability, despite your condition, the first thing you need to do is FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR! I have a neurological disease, which is incurable and causes chronic pain, so I understand how you feel. I also know that just trying to get through every day can be overwhelming. But don’t give up. The advice “Dream” gives (below) is excellent about looking online for the information re: the government doctor who pronounced you disabled. You can also request a copy of that doctor’s report. Once you have that, be sure to take a copy of it with you to interview new doctors – and don’t see a general practitioner, see a specialist who will know what he/she is talking about. If you set up a file for everything it will be easier to keep up with all the paperwork this process will require.

    And yes, do contact the student loan people and request an immediate deferment, due to your disability. It’s completely reasonable to ask for that, due to medical expenses, etc. Be sure to note the date you requested it; if the deferment is granted, write down when it expires, and ask for an extension before the expiration date.

    Good luck. Never, ever give up!


Leave a Comment