A mailer was recently forwarded to me from a tipster (send in your tips here).
As you can see it clearly appears to look like a check and once you open it the layout pretends to be some sort of government program.
I called the number given 800-880-9785 and spoke to a sales representative named Cesar Acosta who said this offer was from a law firm but when I asked him which one, he hung up on me. I called back and the phone was answered as “The Law Firm” and then transferred back to Cesar’s voicemail.
What is interesting, although it might be a total coincidence, is that I remember the name Cesar Acosta from a previous post on Morgan Drexen.
The FTC had a complaint about Morgan Drexen that said, “Harassing and offensive recorded telemarketing calls directing me to call Morgan Drexen to reduce my debt. When I called and ask for my name to be removed from their list I was told “fuck you.” Morgan Drexen representatives involved: Cesar Acosta.” – Source
The address given on the mailer appears to be for a UPS Mailbox store.
Some of the reasons I would label this as a deceptive mailer are:
- The outer envelope makes it look as if it contains an official government check.
- Once opened the top part of the mailer appears to be an official check.
- The bottom part of the mailer claims it is regarding the Obama Administration’s Affordability and Stability Plan.
- The form says it is 450-RN and 1040-1120S which is meaningless but looks official.
- The mailer claims to eliminate interest, reduce payments up to 45%, and gives a time period to become debt free.
At the very bottom the form says it is a Legal Advertisement.
So from the information contained in the mailer and what Cesar Acosta said to me on the call, this is a lead generation mailer for some type of law firm / attorney model debt reduction program.
I can always use your help. If you have a tip or information you want to share, you can get it to me confidentially if you click here.