Divorced, Single Mom, and Being Sued by Chase. What Should I Do? – Ellen

I divorced about 5 years ago and moved with my work. I am a single mom. I lost my job 2 years ago, used up all my savings. I also accumulated a lot of credit card debt. I work and make just enough to pay the basics.

I am being sued by Chase and know I need to answer in 20 days. I would like to ask for an extension to find a good bankruptcy attorney. How do I do this?


This reader question was submitted for site members to answer.

This is your chance to be a hero and help out this person by providing your feedback and answer to the question. Post your response in the comments section below.

If you have a credit or debt question you’d like to ask just use the online form.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

See also  I'm a Single Mom and Pregnant With My Second Child. Need Financial Advice. - Melody

8 thoughts on “Divorced, Single Mom, and Being Sued by Chase. What Should I Do? – Ellen”

  1. Yes- Good advice Damon. For example, in Florida you cannot have your wages garnished if you are the “head of household”- which you are. Generally, no garnishment for self employed! There are statute of limitations as well depending on the State you reside. Consult an attorney.

  2. Hello Ellen, the best thing to do first is meet with a local BK attorney. They will typically be able to tell you exactly what you need to do to extend the time to answer the summons or if you retain them quickly enough, will be able to handle it for you.


Leave a Comment