I Need to Lower My Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Payment. Do I Need to Get a Divorce so I Can File a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy? – Amy

“Dear Steve,

We have paid 15 months into chapter 13 bankruptcy. house payment went up , insurance went up, ex hasn’t paid child support which my attorney says isn’t figured into payment, but I can’t afford payments this high anymore, I can’t even buy a pair of shoes for my kids, what do I do.

My husband suggests divorce and changing to chapter 7. any suggestions?



Dear Amy,

Before you even start consider getting a divorce the first thing to do would be to contact your bankruptcy attorney and see if you can get your bankruptcy payment modified to adjust for your change of circumstances.

If the bankruptcy attorney says the bankruptcy payment can’t be modified then you need to talk to them about converting the bankruptcy to a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

I’m sensing that there was something originally which held you back from filing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. What was it? Do you have a tremendous amount of equity in your home or some other asset that would have been at risk?

Is the debt just in his name?

I need some more information to better help you. Post your answers in the comments section below.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

Do you have a question you'd like to ask me for free? Go ahead and click here.
Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me
Latest posts by Steve Rhode (see all)

Leave a Comment