Credit score 580
excessive charge off
Payday loan companies, credit cards and old Banks account closure
excessive collection agencies
1.What do I do with collection agency that is trying to collect on charge-off account from orginial creditor?
2. What do I do if charge off account with the original owner is past 7 years and the original creditor is no longer on credit report but a collection agency is trying to collect?
3. What is the advantage in paying a credit repair company with attorney’s or debt expert to dispute my credit report versus me trying to do it?
The first thing to do is send a collection agency a written request for verification of the debt. If you dispute anything regarding the account make sure you explain your dispute in your initial letter.
In most circumstances a debt should not be reported that you haven’t paid on in over 7 years. If this is happening you should also send a letter to the credit bureau disputing the account so they can investigate.
The advantage to hiring a third party to handle this for you would be that you can spend your time enjoying other activities. But if you feel comfortable disputing inaccurate information yourself, by all means go ahead. And if inaccurate information continues to be reported then it might be time to get an attorney.
Jeremy Golden, Esq. is one of the resident debt experts here at GetOutOfDebt.org that helps people for free. Jeremy is a consumer rights attorney licensed to practice in California. He represents individuals in cases against debt collectors for violations of the FDCPA. He also focuses on defending people in collection cases who have been sued by their creditors or debt- buyers. In the last five years he has won at trial or obtained a dismissal in over 200 collection cases. Recently he was voted one of San Diego’s Top Attorneys in the field of Consumer Law by SDMetro Magazine. His website is goldencardona.com
Legal Disclaimer: This is for educational purposes only. It is not to be relied upon as legal advice. It also does not create an attorney-client relationship. No such relationship is formed with attorney without a written agreement.
If you have a debt collector question you’d like to ask just use the online form.
- How Do I Get an Amex Card After Cards Closed for Dispute Abuse - October 19, 2021
- What Happened in USA Case Against Rayan Vanderhoof? - October 18, 2021
- Did Dave Ramsey Really Pay Back His Creditors After Bankruptcy? - October 15, 2021