Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > Halifax in the UK Can’t Give Me Proof of My Loan. Do I Have to Pay It? – Dawn

Halifax in the UK Can’t Give Me Proof of My Loan. Do I Have to Pay It? – Dawn

“I took out an unsecured loan of £14,500 in 2003 with the Halifax through a broker to purchase a house as I did not qualify to borrow the full amount in a mortgage.

I made six monthly payments then I lost my job and also the house. They put me on a reduced payment of £30. That payment arrangement stayed until 2007. Through those years I never had any communication from them. I missed a payment in 2007 and it must have flagged up and the account was moved to a debt recovery who increased payment to £40.

After seeing a lot ads about getting out of unenforceable debt I wrote and asked for paperwork for my loan. The only paperwork Halifax have is one A4 sheet with the loan amount and repayment amount but no signature. I have not paid anything for six months and I am not being contacted at all for payment. Could I have a case? I have found it very difficult to get a solicitor to help me. I do not have payment protection and they do not apply interest. Would appreciate any advice.


Dear Dawn,

I wish I could offer more here, but all I could really advise is to seek out a Solicitor who is advertising or specialising in these matters.

In my experience, which is very limited, not that many of these cases are going through as unenforceable and the ones that do are taking a bit of time in the courts.

You do seem to fit the rather loose criteria of a loan taken out prior to April 2007, more than 1K, but less than 15K, but it can be more complex then just that.

Keep looking for a Solicitor to help.


Get Out of Debt Free Hotline
debt settlement helpstudent loan help

About Jon Emge

Jon Emge
Jon Emge is an experienced UK debt advisor who has helped thousands and thousands of people in the UK to deal with problem debt. Jon specialises in finding good solutions for problem debt using a variety of UK specific techniques.If you have a question you’d like to ask about how to get out of UK debt, just use the online form.

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.