Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > DeVry University Says I Owe Money on an Educard and Won’t Give Me My Transcript So I Can Go back to School. – Tonya

DeVry University Says I Owe Money on an Educard and Won’t Give Me My Transcript So I Can Go back to School. – Tonya

I am from North Carolina and I attended DeVry University in Decatur, GA back in 1997. I went for a year and half and then had to withdraw for personal reasons.

My father had borrowed money from his 401K to help pay for my tuition. I also received goverment loans to cover the extra expenses.

The school had something called an Educard which was an account that you could charge your books and some of the other college expenses to and pay on a monthly basis. When I left the school I thought all my expenses from this Educard was paid in full but to my surprise when I enrolled in a local college years later I listed this school as previously attended school and therefore had to requested a copy of my transcript but was unable to get it because the school says that I owe them money from my Educard account ($3,259.00).

I have enrolled in another college & I have taken all the courses that I could without actually having a major but the school will not let me official enroll in a program of study until they have all official transripts.

How long is a transcript valid (it has been over 10yrs since I attended the school), can you omit a school & if you have retaken any courses that are listed on the transcript that would be valid or transferable to the new school what difference does it make if you get the transcript or not?


I’m currently backed-up on answering questions so I’m posting some of the questions here for you to help answer.

This is your chance to be a hero and help out this person by providing your feedback and answer to the question in the comments section below.


Get Out of Debt Guy – Twitter, G+, Facebook

Need More Help?

Get Out of Debt Free Hotline
debt settlement helpstudent loan help

About Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
  • Blen Butterson
  • Vintageferium

    I know you posted this 9 months ago, but in case you didn’t get an answer, here’s my advice.
    I actually work at a state university as an advisor, so I know quite a bit about this. I find it odd that your school won’t allow you to enroll in a program of study without a transcript, yet you are taking classes. Normally (at least where I work), you need a transcript to get admitted. You can not even enroll or be admitted (unless you are under the Fresh Start program) until the school has your transcript. The Fresh Start Program, allows you to essentially “start over” at a university. The catch, though, is that you have to take all your courses again that you might have taken at the previous university and a certain amount of time must have elaspsed between when you attended that school (DeVry) and the present. I believe 10 years is the magical number. 

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.