I’m Disabled. How to I Get Rid of My Student Loans? – Michael

“Dear Steve,

Old Unsubsidized and Subsidized School loans(2000, 2001, and 2002) William Ford Direct Loans. From Victor Valley College -Victorville, CA which is a community college. I never graduated and this thing is a mess. I dropped out of school in Jan. 2003 dut to my late brother Mark who died at the age of 36. I could not function at school or part time work on campus. I moved back to Los Angeles after numerous psych. hospitalizations. From then until now I have not taken care of it.

Total William Ford Loans about :$12,000.00

Also I owe The Pell Grant people too. A 600.00 check was distributed in Jan 2003 and now due to interest and time has passed-interest accrued and went into collections.The bill is now about 1,300.00 Plus The Pell Grant people-Federal Govt is not allowing me to go back to school and receive the Pell Grant. Their is a special code denying me Pell money.

What do I do to bankrupt these or get rid of them.

I am on Social Security and can not work due to a lifetime disability. I only get 845.00 a month to live on and these people are constantly calling and sending mail to my house.

I want to get rid of everything and is there an pro bono lawyer or free agency in California-Los Angeles that does this. I am Schizophrenic-Bipolar today. My neighbor helped me do this letter to you. And I appreciate you reading this.

Any forms you want to look at by William Ford Direct Loans I can fax copies to you.Thanks for your time and consideration.


Dear Michael,

Well I have potential good news for you.

Do You Have a Question You'd Like Help With? Contact Debt Coach Damon Day. Click here to reach Damon.

Your loans may be eligible to be discharged through the Total and Permanent Disability program.

To qualify for this discharge (except for certain veterans as explained below), a physician must certify that you are unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of a medically determinable physical or mental impairment that (1) can be expected to result in death; (2) has lasted for a continuous period of not less than 60 months; or (3) can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 60 months.

See also  The Student Loan Bubble: Eerily Similar to the Home Mortgage Crisis

This disability standard may differ from disability standards used by other federal agencies or state agencies.

The form to file for a discharge can be found online here.

And be sure to give your neighbor a big hug for me.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me

Leave a Comment