Can I Be Sued for Encyclopedias I Bought 13 Years Ago? – Katie

“Dear Steve,

In 1996 or 1998 i purchased some encyclopeida from a sales man and at the time he quoted every one in our little town a price which was under 500.00 and then he talked us into them and then i had had to pay a down payment of 75.00 and the rest was in installedment when the invoice and books came they were alot higher then he had told us so i returned the books and returned the books because it was a money back if you did not agree they harrassed me over and over again saying they could not accept the books without a restocking fee mind you they had my 75.00 already but it was suppose to returned when i paid the restocking fee which i did. i never got my return and now 13 years later they has issued a garnishment againts my wages for 1400.00 for the books.

Do You Have a Question You'd Like Help With? Contact Debt Coach Damon Day. Click here to reach Damon.

I dont have that money to give them for something i dont have im a assistant teacher in mississippi andonly bring home 900.00 a month a dislocated worker husband that cant find work and two grandson who’s mother was killed by a drunk drive utility bill rent and food to try to buy every month and i cant afford nothing to be taking out of my check if i owed them but i dont owe them i check this company in 2001 or 2002 tring to get my refund and the number i called was not the same company they were out of business because people dont buy encyc. anymore and they tring to get something for nothing i check they company though the bbb they are not registed and they want us to send money to a p.o.box they dont have a physical address. and the court is stow municipal court in stow ohio 44224 and i cant not afford to go there i just dont have the money and i dont owe them they have gave me another hearing nov. 16 at 2:30 but i dont have the money to go there and i get paid on the end of the month and christmas coming up i cant afford to get anything taking out of my check. please help me!!!!!!!!!!

See also  Why Haven't My Parents Been Contacted Over the Defaulted Private Student Loans

can they sue me 13 years later what about the stat of limitations on cases.


Dear Katie,

It appears they may not be able to do this. I would advise you to consult with a consumer attorney in your state and you can find one through NACA.net.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me