Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Sallie Mae Student Loans

My Deadbeat Husband Won’t Help Me to Lower Our Sallie Mae Payments. – Deborah

“Dear Steve,

I have a consoidated student loan with my ex-husband. He does not pay a cent towards that loan and is a deadbeat dad too. I am currently unemployed and the current loan payment of $166 is just too much for me right now. I’m not in default and the current balance is about $18000. I know about IBR but Sallie Mae says I need to have him fill out some forms and sign them in order for me to be in the program. I can’t get him to sign but I need to lower my payments too. I really need some help!

Who can help me to get into the IBR program so my loan payments will be affordable? I have a spousal consolidation but my ex-husband is out of state and I can’t get him to sign the papers so I can get into Sallie Mae’s IBR program.


Dear Deborah,

I know of no solution to overcome the fact your husband refuses to cooperate with you.

Just remember that Sallie Mae’s IBR program is not for all types of loans.

Income-based repayment helps eligible customers manage their payments on:

  • Stafford loans
  • Grad PLUS loans
  • Most federal consolidation loans

Loans that are not eligible for IBR:

  • Parent PLUS loans
  • Federal consolidation loans that include Parent PLUS loans
  • Private loans

Do you know if your loans are government backed or private loans?

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

morehelp1 Choice1 Choice2 Choice3 Big Hug!
Get Out of Debt Guy - Twitter , G+ , Facebook
If you have a credit or debt question you'd like to ask just use the online form .

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Share a Comment / Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top
%d bloggers like this: