Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Benefit Programs

My Mother is Taking My Money. – Tene

“Dear Steve,

when my father passed when i was 16 h was in in the military, he was no married to my mom nor was they living togther. when i started getting my dad’s Pention checks and SSi checks she told me that them checks wasnt for me they was owed to her for child support.and still to this day she has a bank account open with my name and her name on it but i don’t use it at all never have i don’t even know what the account numbers or the security codes

my question is can i get the money back that she took from me, and what are the neccsarry steps i have to take? If there is a way to get the money back.


Dear Tene,

That’s a horrible situation. Child support is paid for the purpose of supporting the child and should have been used to care for you, not her. Many parents get that wrong.

It sounds like the checks are still coming but she is taking the money. If you are now over 18 you have rights as an adult. One of the things you could do is contact the departments that are sending the checks and change them into a new bank account with only your name on it.

It’s sure to irritate your mother but if it’s your money, it’s your money.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

morehelp1 Choice1 Choice2 Choice3 Big Hug!
Get Out of Debt Guy - Twitter , G+ , Facebook
If you have a credit or debt question you'd like to ask just use the online form .

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Share a Comment / Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top
%d bloggers like this: