Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Real Estate

We Split and Now I Can’t Afford the House. But I Want to Keep It. – Nick

“Dear Steve,

My wife and I bought a house about a year ago. Since then we have split and went are own ways. I am now left with the house and the morgage. I have been paying on time but it’s getting hard and I can’t continue this every month. I want to keep the house and ask B of A for help but they said NO, they can’t help me.

What do I ? I have great credit and hate to see it go bad after all these years of paying bills on time.

PLease help.


Dear Nick,

It sounds like the dissolution of your relationship has altered the income dynamics of your household and left the home unaffordable on your income alone.

Bank of America might have said they could not assist you because the loan is too new or that your income is now insufficient to qualify for a new mortgage.

Your options here are not wonderful. You could get a roommate to help pay for the mortgage or let the house go back to the bank.

The biggest mistake you could make would be to borrow down your savings to continue to make a mortgage payment that is simply not sustainable anymore.

I’m afraid you are learning the lesson of why divorce is often followed up with bankruptcy.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

READ  What to Do When You Can't Pay the Mortgage

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top