Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Student Loans

Can I Get My Student Loan Debt Forgiven Because I Lived in a Poor Section of Brazil? – Kelly

“Dear Steve,

I am an American born citizen but my retired father raised me partly in a poor section of Brazil. 18 years to be exact. I am now 34 and have a student debt of 10500.00 dollars. I heard of a policy that forgives those who worked full time for ten years in a poor foreign country (like in my case).

How do I apply for this “debt forgivness policy”? How do I know what information I need to provide for it to apply to me?

Sincerly Intrested,


Dear Kelly,

I’ve never heard of such a program. The low income programs for student loan forgiveness I am familiar with require someone to work in a public service or teaching job in the U.S. in a designated area.

I seriously doubt you Brazil time will aid you in forgiving your student loans but a good question to ask.

Use the links below for more information.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

READ  I Make Hardly Any Money. How Can I Get My Sallie Mae, Direct Loan and Pell Grants Forgiven. - Elle

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top