Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Lawsuit

American Express Sued My Dad But He Doesn’t Live in the U.S. – Skylar

“Dear Steve,

My Dad got sued by American Express. They filed it in a court in CA. He doesn’t live here in the US, not a US citizen. He visits here in the US for like every 2 years and resides outside of US. He will be turning 70 yrs old and is not employed.

What can I do to help him?


Dear Skylar,

Does your father own any assets in the U.S. or maintain any bank accounts with money in them?

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

READ  American Express Says They Will Issued 1099-C Personally on Corporate Card. - Roger

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.


  • Thank you for the reply.  I thought my email is never going to be answered.  I know you are a very busy person. 

    No assets and no bank account under his name.  He will visit next year for his sister’s 80th birthday. Is the law suit/debt that he owed be a problem for him to enter the country? 

    • No. He will not have any problems when he visits.

      The reality is the best thing to do in this case is probably nothing. He will be sued and lose but since he has no assets here, that will most likely be the end of it.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top