Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Credit Report / Credit Score

How Do I Get My Disputed Debt Removed From My Credit Report? – Cyndi

“Dear Steve,

Requested validation, and when received , I disputed the documents sent to me.

In response to a dispute with a debt collector, I received a letter from them that stated they have discontinued any further collection activity and cancelled the debt. Can I get this removed from credit reports, and if so, how do I go about doing that?


Dear Cyndi,

It should be a simple matter from this point, but with a catch.

You should get a copy of your consolidated credit report and see who is reporting the item. They write each of those credit bureaus a letter, ask for the item to be removed and include copies of the correspondence from the collector.

Here’s the catch. If the collector is not the owner of the debt then their statements are meaningless. You will need such assurances from the owner of the debt. otherwise you should expect this debt to be sent out for collections again or sold to another bad debt buyer. You have to kill it at the source.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top