Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > Social Security Wants a Lot of My Disability Money Back

Social Security Wants a Lot of My Disability Money Back

“Dear Steve,

I was colecting a disibilty check from social securty. I think it was 700.00 a month. I lived in Ohio and when I moved to New Jersey started driving a truck for a living after years of mental depression everything was going grate.

IM not sure how many years went by, but I ended up working in Iraq with the military. 5 1/2 years in Iraq got the best of me. I suffered from post traumatic stress disorder. I put in a clame with social securty but found work and seem to be ok by staying bizzy working and going to chruch.

Social securty called me and told me I missed an apointment. I told them I was working and was ok. They said ok. A month or so lator I recived an overpayment for 60 thousand dollars. I still dont understand why I owe and what I owe for.

The lady at the social securty office made me sine a papper to pay 50 dollars a month. She said it was 25 a month I was paying for the overpayment and she was raiseing it to 50 a month. I never knew anything about 25 overpayment being paid. I am paying 50 a month but cant understand why. I have had a gunshot wound to the head and am not good at understanding things. People keep telling me to leave it alone and 50 a month is a good deal. I dont owe 60,000 dollars. Should I keep paying it? I dont know what to do.


Dear George,

It might be that Social Security is trying to clawback the money they paid you because you said you were fine. That’s just a guess on my part but it seems to fit the scenario.

I would suggest you find an attorney that is licensed in your state and experienced in dealing with Social Security. You should not play around with this. The situation needs attention.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

Get Out of Debt Free Hotline
debt settlement helpstudent loan help

About Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.