Table of Contents
The Connecticut Department of Banking has just updated they page with new recently actions against debt relief companies. This crop includes United Processing Center, 1st American Debt Solutions, Legal Settlement Solutions, and The Consumer Law Group.
United Processing Center
WHEREAS, on April 27, 2012, the Notice was sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, to United Processing’s agent (Certified Mail No. 70112000000247358208).
WHEREAS, the Notice provided Respondents with the opportunity for a hearing, and stated that if a hearing was not requested by any Respondent within 14 days of each Respondent’s receipt, the Commissioner would issue an order that such Respondent cease and desist from violating Section 36a-671(b) of the Connecticut General Statutes, in effect prior to October 1, 2011, and may order a civil penalty in an amount not to exceed One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000) per violation be imposed upon such Respondent.
WHEREAS, on May 7, 2012, the Notice sent to United Processing was returned to the Department marked “Return to Sender, Attempted – Not Known, Unable to Forward”.
A CIVIL PENALTY of One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000) be imposed upon United Processing Center, Inc., to be remitted to the Department of Banking – Source
1st American Debt Solutions (AKA Legal Settlement Solutions)
WHEREAS, on December 13, 2011, the Notice was sent by registered mail, return receipt requested, to 1st American (Registered Mail No. RB028020654US).
WHEREAS, the Notice provided Respondents with the opportunity for a hearing, and stated that if a hearing was not requested by any Respondent within 14 days of its receipt, the Commissioner would issue an order that such Respondent cease and desist from violating Section 36a-671(b) of the Connecticut General Statutes, and may order that the maximum civil penalty not to exceed One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000) be imposed upon such Respondent.
WHEREAS, on December 19, 2011, 1st American received the Notice and no request for a hearing was received by the Commissioner.
A CIVIL PENALTY of One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000) be imposed against 1st American Debt Solutions Limited Liability Company a/k/a Legal Settlement Solutions, LLC, to be remitted to the Department of Banking. – Source
The Consumer Law Group
- Respondent is a Florida corporation with a place of business at 23123 US 441, Suite 235, Boca Raton, Florida.
- From at least October 1, 2009 to February 1, 2010, Respondent engaged in debt negotiation services in this state on behalf of at least thirty-seven (37) Connecticut residents who, while physically present in this state, agreed to contract terms concerning their unsecured debt and remitted total payments of at least $87,200.71 to Respondent.
- From at least October 1, 2009 to the present, at least thirty-seven (37) Connecticut residents remitted payments to Respondent in excess of amounts that debt negotiators may charge for services pursuant to the Schedule of Maximum Fees established by the Commissioner on or about October 1, 2009.
- On or about October 1, 2009, the Commissioner established a Schedule of Maximum Fees, which provides, in pertinent part, that “[a] debt negotiator of unsecured debt may collect total aggregate fees including the initial fee and service fees, not to exceed ten percent (10%) of the amount by which the consumer’s debt is reduced as part of each settlement as agreed to in the debt negotiation service contract as each settlement is achieved”.
- At no time relevant hereto did Respondent perform or successfully complete the services specified in the contracts.
- At no time relevant hereto was Respondent licensed to engage or offer to engage in debt negotiation in this state, nor did Respondent qualify for an exemption from such licensure.
- On June 2, 2010, the Commissioner received a complaint from a Connecticut resident concerning the fees paid to Respondent for debt negotiation services. – Source
You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.
Do you have a question you'd like to ask me for free? Go ahead and click here.
I can always use your help. If you have a tip or information you want to share, you can get it to me confidentially if you click here.
- Lexington Law Credit Repair Gets Hammered in Lawsuit Settlement. If You Sell Credit Repair – Wake Up! - August 28, 2023
- People That Got Scammed by Robocall Debt Relief Company Life Management Services of Orange County to Get Money Back - July 7, 2023
- Consumers Charged Illegal Student Loan Relief Fees to Get Some Scratch Back - July 7, 2023