Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Credit Report / Credit Score

What Do I Need to Do to Get an Old Delinquent Item Off My Credit Report? – Shelley

“Dear Steve,

Working on paying off some old debts. Also trying to repair my credit.

Can a old debt that has been charged off and the statue of limitation has past, can be reported by a collection agency as new on my credit report.

How do i go about getting this removed from my credit report.


Dear Shelley,

A delinquent account should only be reported for no more than 7.5 years from when it was first reported delinquent.

Getting it remove is a relatively simple process. Get a copy of your consolidated credit report or your individual credit reports and follow the credit bureau dispute process for each credit report that is showing it with a newer start date.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

READ  How Do I Get a Child Support Collection Removed From My Credit Report

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top