In light of a recent hammer blow by the FTC against a debt relief lead generator, a reader sent in their concerns about a site, Debt180.ca that they called a troubling lead generation site for Canadian debt relief companies.
It only takes a glance to spot the similarities between what the U.S. Federal Trade Commission identified in their lawsuit and claims made by this Canadian debt relief lead generator.
Let’s just look at some of the claims made:
- “Reduce Your Debt Up to 75% Today!”
- “Accepting: 7 More Canadian Today!”
- “Eliminate Collection Calls”
- “Be debt free in 12-36 months”
- “Reduce debt by 40%-75%”
- “You can legally settle your debts for less than you owe and become debt-free in as little as one year, without filing for bankruptcy.”
- “Unlike bankruptcy, which involves complete non-payment and stays on your credit record for 10 years, debt settlement is a way to satisfy your debt with lower payments, repair your credit rating, and reclaim
solid financial footing.”
- “Repair or rebuild your credit rating”
Apparently those unsubstantiated marketing claims, which are now illegal in the United States, are still snagging unsuspecting consumers in Canada.
Rumor has it that this lead generation company may be selling some of these leads to U.S. based companies running Canada advanced fee debt settlement operations. Not sure if that is true or not.
Here is the homepage of the site. If you spot any other problematic claims, post them in the comments below.
You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.
I can always use your help. If you have a tip or information you want to share, you can get it to me confidentially if you click here.