Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > My Husband Received a Writ of Garnishment. What Now? – Natalie

My Husband Received a Writ of Garnishment. What Now? – Natalie

“Dear Steve,

My husband has received a writ for garnishment of wages for a debt of 2,200 dollars. The default judgement was placed against him for failure to answer and now he’s facing garnishment.

He only earns about $100 per week. Can his wages be garnished?

What can be done?

We don’t have shared accounts or property but we live in a communual property state. Can my wages be garnished?


Dear Natalie,

This is really a question for an attorney that is licensed in your state if you need specific advice.

But if you can give me some additional information, post it in the comments, about what state you can live in I can give you some general information about your state.

Not every state allows wages to be garnished and all have limits on what can be subtracted from wages.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

Get Out of Debt Free Hotline
debt settlement helpstudent loan help

About Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.