Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Bankruptcy Related

Should I Stop My Payments if I’m Going to File Chapter 7 Bankruptcy? – Mandy

Written by Steve Rhode

“Dear Steve,

I’m over 19,000 in debt and am considering on chapter 7 bankruptcy….

I’d like to know can I stop all payments and if so, will I lose my car, which I need? And will I have to pay an attorney up front?


Gratuitous use of a cute dog running picture.

Gratuitous use of a cute dog running picture.

Dear Mandy,

You should not do anything without first meeting with a local bankruptcy attorney and coming up with a game plan based on your situation.

Most people do not lose their car, but again, each situation is different.

You can click here to find a local bankruptcy attorney and talk to them for free about your specific situation. Get the facts and then you can make an informed and educated decision if bankruptcy is right for you.

Once you meet with the bankruptcy attorney and decide you are going to file they will typically advise you to stop paying your creditors and save up that money for their fee. But don’t do that until you and your bankruptcy attorney are one the same page.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

morehelp1 Choice1 Choice2 Choice3 Big Hug!
Get Out of Debt Guy - Twitter , G+ , Facebook
If you have a credit or debt question you'd like to ask just use the online form .

READ  Everything You Always Wanted and Needed to Know About Bankruptcy

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.


  • I’m confused Amber… Your attorney advised you to pay them with the money? What money? Also, Steve’s comment I took as NOT to pay…?

  • I too wondered if I should stop payments before filing bankruptcy. When I did end up filing, my attorney advised me to pay them with the money just like Steve said.

Share a Comment / Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top
%d bloggers like this: