My wife has defaulted on a student loan (federal). We just received a first call from a collection agency. (Performant Recovery Inc.) They stated we have 48 hours to supply them with all bank statements for 2012 and fill out a very personal form. We are not making enough money to pay this off. We have two children (4 and 6) Our older boy has Down Syndrome.
I eventually landed onto a website from a company in Dallas TX. Student Loan Relief (studentloanrelief.us) I gave some basic information to a loan counselor (our annual income, the size of debt, days defaulted). He said he can have the Dept of Education take on our debt as we have a “huge hardship” due to family size, low annual income, etc..)
We will speak to him today to get more information. He mentioned he will have forms for us to fill. And that we will give this company power of attorney.
Is Student Loan Relief Incorporated (Studentloanrelief.us) a legitimate business? Is it appropriate to give them POWER OF ATTORNEY to have them set up the DOE to pay our loan. A 25 year term under a “huge hardship” status? Please advise!
The term “legitimate” is always a wide open term.
What I can share with you are my guides on how to check out a company so you can make your own determination. And my guide on how to deal with your student loan debts.
You can reduce your payment directly through the Department of Education for free.
Read The Ultimate Guide to Dealing With Student Loans You Can’t Afford. I review all the available programs and give links to get them going. Again, all the help is free.
I would recommend that anyone considering using such a company should read the following fee guides.
- The Ultimate Consumer Guide to Checking Out a Debt Relief Company Before You Sign On the Line
- How to Check Out a Business or Company to Avoid Getting Scammed or Ripped Off
Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.
You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.
Do you have a question you'd like to ask me for free? Go ahead and click here.
- Litigation Practice Group Lawsuit by Business Partner All Service Financial – We Want Our Money - January 24, 2023
- HomeAdvisor and Angi to Pay Up To $7.2 Million and Stop Deceptively Marketing its Leads for Home Improvement Projects - January 23, 2023
- FTC Order Requires LasikPlus to Pay for its Bait-and-Switch Eye Surgery Ads - January 20, 2023