Hey Canada, better late than never, eh?
Tracy MacCharles, the Minister of Consumer Services, stated today, “Ontario consumers need to have confidence that they’re getting what they pay for when purchasing debt settlement services. We’re going to introduce legislation that would protect some of our most vulnerable consumers from being taken advantage of, at a time when they need the most help.”
Ontario has just announced the new debt settlement rules they plan to put in place in the most populous province.
These rules are intended to provide vulnerable consumers with protection against unfair business practices of some companies that offer debt settlement services.
As part of the province’s continuing commitment to strengthen consumer protection, the Ontario government intends to introduce legislation that, if passed, would impose new rules for debt settlement services, including:
- Banning companies from charging upfront fees for debt settlement services
- Limiting the total amount of fees consumers are charged
- Requiring clear, easy-to-understand contracts
- Establishing a 10-day cooling-off period, providing consumers more time to consider their agreements
- Allowing the licences of non-compliant companies to be revoked
These proposed reforms would help protect the rights of consumers and are part of the new Ontario government’s commitment to building a strong economy and a fair, safe and informed marketplace.
- Ontario is joining other provinces like Alberta and Manitoba that regulated companies offering debt settlement services.
- There are currently 22 companies and 38 credit counselling providers offering debt settlement services in Ontario.
- The average consumer debt in Ontario is more than $25,000 per person. – Source
You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.
I can always use your help. If you have a tip or information you want to share, you can get it to me confidentially if you click here.
- Litigation Practice Group Tells Me to Cancel With Worden & Associates - September 17, 2021
- Is First Choice Advocacy Legit? - September 16, 2021
- Parent PLUS Student Loans Pulling Parents Into Trouble - September 15, 2021