Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > I Was in an Accident on a Military Base and Owe the Military Hospital $15,000. – Priscilla

I Was in an Accident on a Military Base and Owe the Military Hospital $15,000. – Priscilla


“Dear Steve,

I’ve always workd ed but about 3 years ago I lost my job and been struggling financially. I’ve worked dead end jobs since then but can ‘t seem to get out of the rut I’m in. About 3 years ago I was involved in a accident (personal) I was taken to a hospital on a military base, now I have a $15,000 dollar bill which I can’t pay for. I’ve tried to work out a payment plan with them but they won’t help me unless I send them $5,000 dollars up front.

So basically I want to know is there anybody out there that will help me pay the government- the department of defense?



Dear Priscilla,

I called a couple of military hospitals and ran the situation past them. They confirmed that in cases of trauma, you may be treated at the military hospital rather than being sent to a nearby civilian hospital. If you were treated, and not eligible for military benefits, you would get a bill.

I would advise you to contact the patient advocate at the hospital in question and ask them for specific advice regarding your specific accident and treatment. It might be that there is some ability to reduce the bill or workout more reasonable repayment options. That department can at least guide you to the person in charge of third party collections for the hospital so you can present your case and offer.

Get Out of Debt Free Hotline
debt settlement helpstudent loan help

About Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.