If I File for Bankruptcy How Can I Go About Getting a Used Car? – Miss M

“Dear Steve,

If I file for bankruptcy, how can I go about getting a used car? That is, if bankruptcy can clear the debt I owe with my current car note. Am I able to refinance or get approved for another loan if I’m looking to trade-in my car with a negative turn-over balance? I was thinking about turning in my car for a newer used vehicle because I cannot make the current payments seeing that I owe the auto company all this back pay. Please help.

Miss M”

Dear Miss M,

If you trade your car in and roll the debt into a new loan you will be way upside down in the new loan. It is not something that I would recommend.

If you need to go bankrupt then do that. There are plenty of “Buy Here, Pay Here” dealers that will sell you a beater car and take payments from you. Once you get your credit back in shape you can go any by a new or used car again.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

Do you have a question you'd like to ask me for free? Go ahead and click here.
Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me
See also  Do I Have to Be Behind on My Bills to Go Bankrupt? - Lys

3 thoughts on “If I File for Bankruptcy How Can I Go About Getting a Used Car? – Miss M”

  1. Thanks for the good information. If you filed bankruptcy and you want to get a loan for a car, you probably going to need a copy of your complete bankruptcy and the bankruptcy discharge. Those old debts that were included on your bankruptcy might be on your credit report. So you will need to a copy of your bankruptcy records to show proof of what debts were discharged.

  2. Often people who have been through a major economic setback such as bankruptcy fear they will never establish good credit again. Federal law allows negative information to remain on your credit report for seven or even ten years (for bankruptcy).Cleaning up a blemished credit history will take time, but which persistence and a focused strategy, within a year you can restore your credit. Lenders, credit card companies, and solicitors will begin contacting you again. Be wise about the credit you decide to establish and make sure your current situation can handle such credit. Your first step involves reviewing your credit report for any outdated or inaccurate information. If accounts you have paid in full are still listed as unpaid on the report, immediately notify the credit bureau.
    Car lenders are usually the first ones to try extend credit. Becareful and good luck!!!!

    • I liked your reply. I think more often than not, people don’t check their credit reports. Also, I’d like to add, if a person had a bankruptcy and the debts are still on the credit report, that person should get a copy of the bankruptcy records and bankruptcy discharge and send it the the credit reporting agency. Those bankruptcy records will be the proof that their debts were discharged.


Leave a Comment