Joe Doyle, Administrator of the Governor’s Office of Consumer Affairs (OCA), announced that the agency has entered into a settlement with Debt Relief USA, Inc., a debt adjustment company, over allegations that it violated Georgia’s Debt Adjustment Act. The company agreed to refund all fees it has received from its Georgia clients, a total of $527,205.55, reimburse OCA for administrative expenses in the amount of $40,000, and to cease doing business in Georgia until it changes its business practices to comply with Georgia law.
OCA alleges that Debt Relief USA, Inc. violated each of the three major provisions of Georgia’s Debt Adjustment Act:
- 7.5 percent of the amount the consumer deposits with the debt adjustment company each month for distribution to his or her creditors. Debt Relief USA, Inc. allegedly charged debtors “administrative fees”, “monthly maintenance fees”, and “negotiation fees”, none of which was part of the amount distributed to creditors each month.
- 30 days of receipt from the consumer, another alleged violation.
- Finally, debt adjustment companies must maintain a separate trust account for customer funds and specific insurance coverage to protect consumers. Copies of these audits and insurance policies must be filed annually with the Governor’s Office of Consumer Affairs. Debt Relief USA, Inc. failed to comply with these provisions as well.
“OCA is committed to ensuring that consumers receive the benefit of the protections that are contained in Georgia’s Debt Adjustment Act,” stresses Mr. Doyle. “This office will aggressively pursue companies that do not comply with the statute.”
- Plastic Pandemic: US Credit Card Debt Surges Nearly 20% in Q1 2021! - May 12, 2023
- The IRS Resumes Collections Notices: What You Need to Know Before It’s Too Late - May 12, 2023
- How Can I Deal With Payday Loan Debt? - May 12, 2023
1 thought on “Debt Relief USA Ordered Out of Georgia and Must Pay Over Half a Million in Refunds and Fines”
Although applying for loans is very hard, many companies are providing good services to the people just to pay back the money. The loan can only be a good way for seeking opportunities and fulfilling the desires but it will become a frustration if the borrower will not pay the money in time.