Latest Posts
Home > Questions Answered by User Comments > Recently Divorced Mother of Three Has Credit Card, Medical and School Debt. – Gail

Recently Divorced Mother of Three Has Credit Card, Medical and School Debt. – Gail

“Dear Steve,

Recently divorced mother of 3. I still have a great deal of credit card, medical and school debt. I am only working part time and would really like to begin making some type of payments to my creditors no matter how small until my emploument situation emproves.

Should I contact each of my creditors and how do I do that or contact a credit counseling agency?


Get Out of Debt Free Hotline
debt settlement helpstudent loan help

About Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
  • Tricia

    Contact the creditors direct! :) Don’t go to credit counseling unless absolutely necessary. Once you speak with them give them your situation and tell them how much you can pay (don’t leave it up to them to decide on the amount). Make sure you pay ontime because they can cancel the new payment arrangments if one payment is missed. Then evaluate every dollar you spend to see if you can squeeze out another $40 or $50 per month to apply to your lowest card to get it paid off. Roll the payment up to the next card and keep moving forward. You will see a difference, it just takes time. School debt-they may give you a hardship deferral just ask. If not, and it’s a federal guaranteed loan do your best to make those payments. They can take your tax return if you are in default. Medical can be paid off too and sometimes negotiated to pay reduced amounts. Call your creditors and tell them your situation, you may be suprised.

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.