Will I Be Able to File a Debt Relief Order in the UK from South Africa?

“Dear Jon,

I am currently on mat leave and have just recieved my final months smp. I will not be returning to work and will be a stay at home mum.

We have temporarily moved to South Africa from the uk as my boyfriend has been offered work – we aren’t sure if this is permanent yet.

We do not have any joint finances and my credit card debt is in just my name.

As I will be giving up work to look after my child I will not be able to keep up with my repayments and as we are abroad I will not be claiming any benefits.

I don’t have any assets or own a home either.

My question is would I be able to apply for a debt relief order whilst overseas?

I am still a uk citizen.



To directly answer your question, yes, as long as you lived in England or Wales in the past three (3) years you can do a Debt Relief Order.

You will need to discuss this further with a charity or competent as to how to best approach this from where you will be living.

A couple of questions:

How much debt do you have?

Will you be going back to work at any point in time?

I just ask to get a fuller picture of your situation.

Let me know and the best of things with the move!



Jon Emge is an experienced UK debt advisor who has helped thousands and thousands of people in the UK to deal with problem debt. Jon specialises in finding good solutions for problem debt using a variety of UK specific techniques.

If you have a question you’d like to ask about how to get out of UK debt, just use the online form. I’m happy to help you for free.

Leave a Comment