My husband and I divorced over 10 years ago, when I sold our house it wasn’t enough to pay off the second mortgage, and since they had messed up in the paperwork they signed off and the sale of the house and we assumed the loan.
I never signed a new contract or anything. My ex husband paid the payment in lieu of me going after him for more child support. In recent months he defaulted on the loan and now they are calling me constantly.
I have yet to take the phone call. Not sure what to do. He informed me that he was served papers to pay the $1800 that he owed, i’m not really sure what the balance is on it. This confuses me even more as to why they keep calling me?
Should I just ignore them or will I be sent to collections on it also? can they split the debt? why haven’t I been sent to collections yet?
An interesting situation. I really hate those decade old issues that creep back up. What a drag for you.
From what you said, here is how I interpret the situation.
- You had a joint mortgage with your ex-husband.
- You believed that the second mortgage was paid off with some sort of payment from your husband.
- You are uncertain why you keep getting calls for this debt.
My best guess is that the original second mortgage was never fully satisfied and since it was a joint debt, you are still liable for that debt.
The best course of action at this point is to not admit to anything but to talk to the people that are trying to call you and get the facts about what exactly is going on here and what is the claim.
Until you do that, you are just going to keep worrying about what might be instead of what actually is. When we know what the facts are, we can deal with them.
You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.
Do you have a question you'd like to ask me for free? Go ahead and click here.
- I Want My Money Back That I Paid World Law - June 30, 2022
- How Do I Get My Husband Back That Left Me for Another Woman? - June 30, 2022
- Financial Education Services Fighting Back Against FTC Over Credit Repair Allegations - June 30, 2022