Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts

I Attended Digipen Institute of Technology in Redmond, WA and Now I Can’t Pay the Bill. – Orion


“Dear Steve,

I attended Digipen Institute of Technology in Redmond, WA, from 2001 through 2004. The school was not accredited at the time, so I had to take personal loans from Key Bank (the only bank in Digipen’s area who would loan to students attending Digiepn) to pay for living & college expenses. A few years after I graduated, I got married & moved the UK to be with my wife. Since the global recession, the exchange rate from GBP to USD has declined, leaving me little to no money after paying my Key Bank loans.

Can I claim bankruptcy even though I live in the UK? If so, how do I do so?


Dear Orion,

The loans may be dischargeable in bankruptcy if they were personal loans and not student loans. It is possible to go bankrupt in the United States while living in the United Kingdom.

See this previous Q&A for details. Can I Go Bankrupt in the U.S. Even Though I Live Outside the States Now? – Peter


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

READ  Will My Bank Overdraft Hurt My Chances of Getting a UK Spouse Visa?

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

1 Comment

  • I went to Digipen to. They are the best but they are also extremely good at taking YOUR MONEY. They are really expensive for 2 years of tuition, book, room, and board I borrowed 60k!

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top